Archive for the ‘Competition News’ Category

The Bend East Circuit

Wednesday, October 7th, 2020

Thank you to all the Volunteers who assisted with Flag Marshall duties on Sunday. Lunch – what a huge feed! Thanks to Noel for snapping a few pictures of me on the track. Looking forward to sharing the fact that by Round 2 I was faster than Neil 🙂 and RD3 & RD4 he certainly couldn’t catch me as I continued to post better times despite some offs.

Log In

Tuesday, September 29th, 2020

There has been a change to the location of the Log In tab . . . you will now find it much higher up the right hand menu rather than waaay down the bottom.

Hope you like it as much as these guys like getting their Mk1 Saloon airborne!

Competition Report

Tuesday, June 16th, 2020

Hi everyone. Looks as if we might be back on the track next month with Regularity on 12th July and a Sprint on 26th.

I would like to touch briefly on some of my adventures with my TR7V8 so far this year. In March I teamed up with Bruce and Di Pollock for a trip to Phillip Island for the Festival of Speed. Bruce and I competed in Regularity in different divisions. Bruce won his division and I just had fun trying to lower my lap time.(2:04.91).

The Monday after finishing at Phillip Is. was a Vic long weekend and a track day at Sandown. I met Andy Ansell and Max Hayes at the track with their Triumphs. I had not driven at Sandown before so the first stint was a steep learning curve. I enjoyed learning a new track and reducing my lap time each time I went out. I reduced my time from 1:47 to 1:34.52 and I was happy with that. Still not as fast as Max who was a couple of seconds faster.

After I got home I gave my Triumph a quick wash and took her to Black Canvas photographic studio to have her photo taken. This was a very different experience and the results were amazing. I have attached the photos and I think you will agree that she looks good for a 38 year old car.

The weekend that the shutdown started was a MSCA Supersprint at Mallalla. Myself and Duane competed with our TR7V8s and Roger was wearing his MSCA Hat. Trevor Lindsey also turned up for a look. Duane’s car did not want to start for the first event but found a wire had fallen off the starter motor so was able to join a later group. Both of us achieved new PBs.

With competition starting next month, my job list includes an oil change and new rear brake pads.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at our next meeting

Cheers, Neil

President’s Report – March 2020

Monday, March 30th, 2020

President’s report                                                                                                 March 2020

Most would be aware of the recent passing of Arrand Ellery but I was made aware that Vic Neave lost his wife during that week also. TSOA wish all families our condolences at this sad time.

It was a difficult time for all, especially those that Arrand has assisted over the time he has been a member of TSOA. For me personally Arrand was always the first to arrive and last to leave on any event that had cars on display helping me set up and break down and never faltered with his support.

For those that could not attend Arrand’s funeral there were many stories from family and friends that highlighted his life and certainly honoured his strengths and kindness to everyone around him. He will be sadly missed. Lorna now has the little yellow car that he lovingly cared for assigned to her. I’m sure that their son Todd will also have lots of time in the car.

I think everyone would agree that it’s been an interesting and difficult time globally and the impact has strengthened over the past few weeks. We as a club will constantly monitor events with the hope that some normality will occur in the not too distant future. After discussions with the committee I’m now informing all members that:

ALL “Club sponsored runs and meeting’s” will be Cancelled now until further notice.

I’m very conscious about the pending renewal of memberships, upcoming AGM and log book updates and will do what we can to help with these mandatory processes. We have until August to hold the AGM so we will advise closer to the date how this will occur or be affected.

The next issue for members is the continuation of Membership/payments and the updating of log books for members on the historic scheme. I would like to advise that membership invoices for the next financial year will be sent out soon, so that these can be done prior to log book renewals. Different payment options will be available. The new costing’s for next year is reflective of the budget proposed by our treasurer and put to the committee this month. After discussion and acceptance the budget will be disclosed in an upcoming Trak, but I’m sure that all members will be happy with the outcome. For those people that paid more than one year subscription last year, Alex will advise an outcome for those affected and suitable arrangements will be done directly with those members. The new costing is for the 2020 / 2021 financial year only and we don’t consider it’s continuation into the following year.

Log book updating will now only be done this year through the postal process. Unfortunately we cannot provide a one on one at the club. Books need to be posted to the clubs PO Box for collection and processing. We will turn these around as soon as possible. There are now 5 of us available to process books and the team welcomes Graham Dean to the table. Graham now looks after all of the club’s memberships and Historical registrations. Thanks for stepping up to the new challenge.

The recent global concern will now test our continued communication and once we have any news to share we will update everyone with those details. The most pressing will be events planned for later in the year. The nationals next year are well underway with good ground covered so far but this too will need constant communication so we have something to present at this year’s Nationals if they proceed. We are unsure at this time how they will be affected. Hopefully the current issue does not extend until then and the event goes ahead for those going but currently this is at risk and communication is ongoing with their committee.

Now I can finally advise everyone of a bit of good news for a change and it links very closely with the situation we are all in currently. This week I was able to recognise and present Roger Lange with a small token gift from the club in recognition of his ongoing support with the Web. This presentation was planned to happen at the dinner last year, but Roger had other commitments on the night. Since then it’s been a hit and miss so there has been no opportunity to present this to him in the environment where other members are present. Sadly the current conditions still prevent this so here we are electronically thanking him for all of his good work. Now more than ever we look to the web for updates. I’m hopeful that Roger and Cherri enjoy the bottles of red. Good timing too seeing they may restrict purchasing that now also. Cheers Roger and thankyou from all of us at TSOA.

We will still send out general comments through our on line OCC logging tool and phone messaging but as Roger continually mentions the web works for many reasons. Sale of parts, or cars / parts wanted, general stories or updates and membership notices. If you have trouble posting parts for sale etc please contact Roger, Duane or me. We are all here to help.

Please send log books via our PO Box after subscriptions are paid and when required.

Triumph Sports Owners Association SA Inc.

PO Box 192 Glenside SA 5065

Having been away for the past few months, I would like to thank the committee members who kept me informed and supported the club and other members during this time. I did keep in contact as best I could but knew things were well taken care of.

Regards for now and stay safe.

Ian Rigby

President

President’s Report – March 2020

Thursday, February 13th, 2020

   President report:  March 2020.

As prior reported, I will be away for the February meeting so this is a short report on following from the last few weeks and  All British day.

Once again it was a great turn out and all but one entrant turning up for the display. Alongside and with the Stag clubs 22 registered we had 27 Triumphs, a V12 E Type Jaguar, and one Mini on display.

There were several more across the field joining other clubs but at the end of the day it was our very own Noel and Cindy Schmidt who blitzed the field once again with the TR3 and took out “Best Vehicle” and was awarded the honor by Jeremy Cordeaux, so go Triumph.

As a follow up to displaying our cars I previously mentioned a vote we ran at the presentation dinner last year. The results of this are as follows after asking tthose that attended where it should be in 2020.

Semaophore :    4 votes.

Glenelg:               17 votes

Modbury:            20 votes

Other:                   14 Votes 7 of these were the Birdwood Museum with a few scattered elsewhere

So this decision will now go to the committee and final acceptance before I start this year’s process.

The second part of the voting I asked for 2021 possibly having this at the “All British day” 42 voted Yes and 13 were No.

Seemed like a good idea especially for me as with the Nationals later in the year having the event early with all infrastructures taken care off, the only detail I would have discussed would be subsidizing the entry cost.

After looking over the field this time there were cars that normally go to that display missing so I’m not sure if it would be fair to do this or take the risk and go with it. That being said we got more cars on display at all British than we typically have had over the past few years for the display event. We would certainly have different winners.

This will be another committee decision based on what we have seen from the voting and the day this year.

The other detail up for review is the display day presentation dinner. We have a date set but at this stage we are negotiating a location.

Who ventured out on Monday the 10th for “drive your Triumph Day” I took the mother in law to her appointment in the morning so treat for her in the TR6 her first time in the car. Once dropped off I couldn’t resist a little run in the hills then back to our local park. Even with the car still dusty from the Sunday event I will still post up the picture.

driveyourtriumphday@gmail.com,

Best regards for now.

Ian Rigby

President

Minutes – General Meeting 19/11/19

Sunday, November 24th, 2019

MINUTES – TSOA GENERAL MEETING 19/11/19  

 

Meeting Opened at 8:00   

 

  1. Welcome:
    • Apologies: John Wood, Dean & Marg Bogisch, Wayne & Carolyn Byrne, Peter & Julie Davidge.

 

  • Guests/Visitors/New Members: Guests – Garry Blucher (Stag Owners Club); Dean Hosking (Talk on Goodwood Revival Festival UK). New Member, Darryl Champion 2500S.

 

  • Previous Minutes: Proposed be accepted as accurate by David Stephens, seconded by Neil Martin.

 

  1. Presidents Report – Ian Rigby

2.1 Welcome Back to those members who attended WA Nationals. Alex Smithson has submitted a great report in last Fastrack and the Team SA Red Polo Shirts certainly looked great.

2.2 Received an email encouraging all Triumph owners to drive their Triumph on Monday Feb 10th 2020, in memory of John Black. Take a photo and share it on email, social media.

2.3 Sunday’s Day Of Triumph was a great event. Sincere thanks to Aarrand Ellery who was first to arrive and last to leave. Trophies are being engraved ready for the Presentation Dinner on November 30th. FHMC supported the event with grounds hire, thanks also to Dino & Lisa for discount at Caffe Primo.

2.4 Bill Berlemon thanked Ian Rigby on behalf of all TSOA Members for all his efforts in preparation and also on the Day of Triumph to help make it a successful event.

 

  1. 3. Secretary’s Report – Duane Kaak

3.1 Thanks to Stag Owners Club for assisting with Judging. Duane will attend their next meeting to thank them formally.

3.2 Usual Club Magazines and Shannon’s Auction catalogue received. Received Cheque from FHMC also for DOT Grounds hire fee.

3.3 Birdwood Motor Museum are offering all registered car club members and their passenger’s free entry to the venue from January 1st, 2020. Suggested Club event be arranged.

3.4 Duane did not take his Stag over to Victoria to participate in the Melbourne Cup parade as Triumphs were cancelled last minute by Lexus.

3.5 Expressions of interest are sought for TR7/8 convertible owners to drive their cars in a Formula 1 Parade next year.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report – Alex Smithson

4.1 Over $52,000 in all bank accounts, $50 less than last month. Although money has been banked for Presentation Dinner, the annual insurance cost has been paid.

4.2 Have achieved Budget for Subscriptions for this financial year already.

 

  1. Social Report – Ian Rigby

5.1 Presentation Dinner, must pay and register tonight, currently 64 people attending. Starts 6:30pm for pre dinner subsidised drinks

5.2 Dean Berlemon has arranged the after Christmas Run to Mt Compass Hotel on Dec 29th. Meet Victoria Hotel, “Top o Taps” at 10am.

5.3 January’s usual Fish & Chip/Icecream run is likely to be different this year, event to be held on Sat 18th Jan, 2020.  Bill Berlemon volunteered to arrange the typical run to Noonies if there was no success with the new planned event.

5.4 Looking for a Volunteer to arrange a run in March, ideally 15th and Birdwood Museum was suggested as a destination.

 

  1. Competition Report – Neil Martin

6.1 WA Nationals had 3 participants, Duane Kaak in 2000 Saloon, and Neil & Roger Lange double entered Neils TR7 V8. Neil was fastest outright Triumph in both events. No National Competitions Trophy was awarded.

6.2 MSCA Vic is hosting an event at The Bend on June 7th 2020. Will be 56 places open to SA members and it will be held on the International Circuit (Same as Supercars) TSOA will be asked to assist with Marshalls for the event.  MSCA SA also due to hold an event at The Bend on the East Circuit later in 2020.

6.3 Neil has entered the Modern Regularity event this weekend, Duane is still repairing his car.

 

  1. Library ReportGreg Page

7.1 Thanks to Bill Berlemon for caretaking the library in his absence

7.2 Lots in the library and would like to loan some out.

 

  1. Regalia Report – Sue Smithson

8.1 The Team SA Red Polo shirt looked excellent at the Nationals, plan is to add NSW 2020 to the sleeve for those attending that event.

8.2 Apologies for September meeting price quote of $25 for Triumph Model T-Shirts, cost is $30 each. Have TR6, TR7 and Stag.

8.3 Tonight’s special is Black S/S polo shirts for $34, usually $38.

8.4 Still have sunshades available for only $5.

 

  1. Fastrak Editor’s Report

9.1 Ian Rigby will ask Editors to produce one more edition this year.

9.2 Alex Smithson stated he is aware some members are receiving multiple copies and has a solution to avoid it next time.

 

  1. Website Report – Roger Lange

10.1 The Website is the Clubs websites, not Rogers, so the onus is on the members to supply articles and photos etc.

 

  1. Conditional Registration Report – Ian Rigby

11.1 Attended the FHMC meeting recently.

11.2 Still have a trickle of books being received that requiring stamping/updating.

 

  1. All British Day – Geoff Ellis

12.1 Entries are now closed with 840 entrants. Some TSOA members missed the deadline so it was asked for anyone unable to attend to offer their gate pass to another TSOA member.

12.2 ABD are meeting at the oval on Thursday to map out which clubs will park where.

12.3 British High Commissioner is due to attend. SA Governor General has declined due to another commitment.

12.4 Jeremy Cordeaux as Parton of the event will promote it through his media contacts.

12.5 Stag Owners Club will park with TSOA and their vehicles are due to be listed against their club in the magazine, not the TSOA like last year.

 

  1. Guest Speakers

13.1 Garry Blucher advised the Stag Owners Club and Triumph Car Club of Victoria are planning an event in the June 2020 Long weekend, based at Hahndorf. TSOA members are also welcome to attend. They will reconsider the itinerary now to look into visiting The Bend.

13.2 Garry spoke of how he had a request for Engineering for the 3.9L Rover Engine in his Stag. After supplying evidence of Warranty replacement of 4.4L Leyland Engines and other technical data, Service SA agreed to Roadworthy inspection only. A copy of this correspondence is available through Duane Kaak if anyone requires it.

13.3 Dean Hosking presented a photo slide show of his recent trip to Goodwood Revival Meeting and discussed the large variety of cars and other related activities for all to enjoy.

 

  1. Raffle

14.1 Box of Chocolates won each by Lisa Macleod and Mark Russell.

 

  1. Parts or Cars For Sale or Wanted.

15.1 Ian Rigby is travelling to QLD this weekend to collect a large number of 2500S parts from a 130,000km car.

15.2 Roger Lange donated a large number of Car Magazines for members to take home.

 

 

  1. Supper.

Thanks to Peggy Argent and Duane Kaak

 

17         Meeting Closed:           9:10pm

All Triumph Challenge 2019 – Winton

Sunday, August 25th, 2019

See some of the action from this year’s All Triumph Challenge held at Winton in August . . . Neil Martin’s in-car camera – https://youtu.be/2DaBomP46oY

“We got us a Convoy”

Sunday, August 20th, 2017

Although off to a nervous start i did manage to get all Triumphs in convoy today for a quick run through the northeast and Range Road. Naturally(?) Our Triumphs left the modern cars behind and the rain stayed away for a fun and informative tour of Paracombe Premium Perry farm.

Come and Try Hillclimb – Collingrove

Monday, June 26th, 2017

4th June 2017

Regular TSOA members will know that Neil has done a lot of recent work to his car, small things here and there to get it to rev faster, smoother and handle better, resulting in new Personal Bests at Mallala. His motivation is to keep ahead of me. When I first joined him at Mallala 5 years ago, he was slower than my PB now.

If Neil’s changes would result in a faster Hillclimb time was yet to be proven, then the opportunity arose to participate in the Sporting Car Clubs Come & Try day. Neil didn’t have to twist my arm too hard to join in, Roger also had his arm twisted and the 3 of us entered the recent Sunday event.

We all know it has been a cold start to winter. The official forecast for Springton was -1 overnight. Imagine living in that tree! So as I got up that morning, I donned my thermals before my race attire and I set off at 6:30ish to top up the fuel in my TR7 and met Neil at his place to travel in convoy along some of our favourite twisty roads up & over Tea Tree Gully and beyond. My car had warmed up by Neil’s house and I was thankful I had racing gloves to wear to brave the very cold morning.

Some spirited driving ensued, up through the hills, and shortly before Chain of Ponds, I spied some fancy LED lights, synonymous with Audi, in my rear view (yes, I was chasing Neil again) and Roger joined in our TSOA convoy as the ambient temperature dropped around us. Through Birdwood at 50km/h I nearly had to pull over to call the RAA due to my car underheating. I never thought I’d ever need antifreeze living in Australia until that point. My body was frozen through several layers of clothes, the heater useless and my driving came from the knee as I lost feeling in my toes and feet. I found out later the gauge in Roger’s Audi RS3 reported it as minus 4.5degrees.  Brr.

But spare a thought for the couple of guys who tailed us from Mt Pleasant, making the journey from the City in a Clubman. No roof, no side windows. My TR7 suddenly felt like an oasis.

But clear skies and no breeze made way for an absolutely beautiful winter day at Collingrove. I made sure I was basking in the sun like a lizard on a rock and soon was ready to have some fun.

The day was very well run, beginning with not your ordinary slow orientation drive up the track, but a free go, straight up, so we could feel how it would be at a realistic pace for the day. I cruised up at 47 seconds. Neil and Roger about  42 seconds each.

We all got 4 more runs and plenty of time to talk to strangers about Triumphs and with each other about how to get across the finish line the fastest, comparing times etc. Dave Wilson made a visit in his Saloon to add a Triumph to the spectators car park.

My best time for the day was 41.3 seconds. A PB for me, 5 years ago, the best I managed was 43.5 You can view my quickest 3 laps on YouTube through this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc73I7O-5wo&t=107s

We were all ready for one more run at the end of the day, but it ended abruptly as all runs were completed. We all had big grins on our faces anyway. Neil got a new PB, and of course it was Rogers PB being the first Competitive event in the Audi.

And of course, we knew we had the drive home ahead, now with feeling in fingers and toes, through the twisty bits at more than the recommended speeds through the bends on warmed up tyres and roads. Smiles all round.

Duane Kaak

Neil Martin’s TR7V8

Sunday, June 25th, 2017

My Car. Photo taken by Duane at the Legends of the Lake hillclimb, Mount Gambier, last year.